My Sweet Armenia




Mount Ararat or Siss & Massis August 2017 Yerevan Armenia by Armineh Amirian Zohrabian



My Sweet Armenia


I Love my sweet Armenia’s sunbaked words,
The mournful weeping chords of our old lute I love,
The bleeding flowers and the perfumed roses I love,
And the gracious dance of the Armenian maidens I love.

I love our dusky skies, sparkling waters and brilliant lakes,
The summer sun and the howling winter blizzards,
The uninviting walls of huts lost in darkness,
And the ancient cities millennium stones I love.

Wherever I go I won’t forget our mournful songs,
I won’t forget our iron plate books of prayers,
However sharp our bleeding wounds stab my heart,
Still my orphaned and scorched Armenia I love.

In my yearning heart there is no other legend,
There are no philosophers like Narekatsi and Koochak,
Search the whole world there is no white summit like Ararat,
Like an unreachable path to glory our mountain Massis I love.





The reason I have translated this poem by Y. Charents is because I love it immensely.  He has used words that are so uniquely Armenian that it makes it very difficult to translate. For example how do you translate “ Arevaham” which can be loosely translated to “a word that tastes like the sun” or the word “Hezagegoon”  which could be badly translated to “Demure and nimble” but those are not poetic words and will not do justice to the superb language that he has used. Never the less I, being a lover of poetry especially Armenian poetry could not help myself but try. I hope you will forgive me. 

Armineh Amirian Zohrabian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Brother My Love

Courage

THERE IS NO GLORY IN MARTYRDOM ANYMORE