Blood & Love

I look up and I see my father's reflection in the window
reading with a cigarette in hand
glasses perched on his nose
a cup of coffee on the table,
but it's my reflection I'm looking at,
and I miss him.
I'm cooking with fragrant herbs
chopping, dicing, mincing
washing pots and pans as I cook
my wedding band making music
ping ping ping
this is how I remember my mother
through the smells of my cooking
the sounds of my kitchen
and the taste of our meals.
Now I'm sewing something,
cutting the fabric carefully
placing my left hand on the cloth
using the scissors with my right
it's my oldest sister's hands
that I'm looking at
when I would sit impatiently by her side
as she made me pretty little girl dresses.
I see them in me, I see me in them
I look like all nine of my brothers and sisters
I look like my mom and dad
I am them, and they are me,
this is our blood
this is love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Brother My Love

Courage

Coronavirus