I'm Simply Human



Alone, isolated, forsaken.
Miserable.
Burdened with duty,
Defeated utterly.
Powerless.
Guilty.
Guilty of feeling self-importance.
Guilty for feeling this way,
Surely, compared with the multitudes
I have the least suffering.
What's more,
I am conscious of their misery.
I listen, I read and see

The tragedies that befall humanity,

The devastation of wars,
The loss of thousands of lives
Loss of country and home
The brutalities inflicted on innocent people.
I see the insatiable greed of dictators

That will not be satisfied 

Even by the blood of children and the young.
I witness the poisoned minds of zealots
Fed by their false prophets
Out to destroy lives, values and democracy.
And I am one of the multitudes
That feel this pain.
I'm tormented
I can’t be happy with my blessings,
My fortuitous ordinary life.
Because I am simply human.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Brother My Love

Courage

THERE IS NO GLORY IN MARTYRDOM ANYMORE